Southwold - Walberswick Ferry
Since the early thirteenth century a rowing boat has ferried across the River Blyth between Southwold and Walberswick. The River Blyth Ferry Company formed in 1885 with a hand-operated pontoon to cross the river, carrying, at times, a horse and cart. This ferry was replaced by a steam-driven chain ferry in 1911 and ran until WWII, whereupon she was anchored mid-stream as part of anti-invasion measures, that is, until she broke free from her moorings and sank on the Walberswick side of the river.
Today, she is once again a rowing boat which ferries passengers to and from Southwold and Walberswick. The ferry operates between April and November.
£1 per person and bicycle. Children under 5 and dogs are free of charge.