by Sue | Oct 4, 2017 |

Legend of the Black Shuck

$article->leadphoto->description

In August 1577, coastal Suffolk was hit by great storms of other-worldly proportions.  


During morning service, almost simultaneously at the churches of Holy Trinity Blythburgh and St Mary's Bungay, the devil made an appearance disguised as a black dog. There seems to be some confusion as to where he struck first but, legend has it, strike he did.


At a time in history when the vast majority of houses in the area would have been of timber construction and thatched roofs, lightning was to be feared, as one strike could wreak havoc; razing whole towns to the ground. 

As the congregations of Holy Trinity Blythburgh and St Mary's Bungay knelt in prayer, and the barrelling storms outside grew in ferocity, in the midst of both crowds suddenly appeared a black dog.


In Bungay, lit by flashes of fire, the dog ran about the body of the church causing great fear and panic. It passed between two people kneeling at prayer, killing them instantly, and caused another man to shrivel up, severely burned (although he is said to have survived).


About seven miles away in Blythburgh, at around the same time, another black dog (or the same phenomena) appeared in the parish church preceded by the same thunderstorm. This black dog struck three people dead, collapsed the church tower and left scorch marks on the north church door.


A weather vane in Bungay marketplace commemorates Black Shuck, as do many streets, houses, clubs and companies in the town which bear his name.















Blythburgh needs no such man-made reminder - the devil's scorch marks remain to this day on the church door.


Related Articles

$other->leadphoto->meta_description

Snape: A History

Snape is perhaps best known today as the venue for the Aldeburgh Festival; the Snape...


$other->leadphoto->meta_description

The Merman of Orford

In London. the athletic and active Henry II sits on the throne of England, plotting an...


$other->leadphoto->meta_description

Suffolk’s Farming Past: Sibton Abbey

In 1539, all monastic property was transferred to the control of King Henry VIII, inc...


$other->leadphoto->meta_description

James Cable: Aldeburgh's Beloved Lifeboatman

We like to celebrate the many remarkable people that come from our beloved town, both famous...


$other->leadphoto->meta_description

The History of Aldeburgh's Moot Hall

The Moot Hall in Aldeburgh, which houses Aldeburgh Museum, is a superb timber-framed b...


$other->leadphoto->meta_description

The Silk Trade of Sudbury

West Suffolk is famed for its wool towns - Cavendish, Clare, Lavenham and Long Melford...


$other->leadphoto->meta_description

The River Deben, 'An Old World Fairway'

“Who will come a-sailing, / Who will come with me, / Down the sunny Deben / To the dis...


$other->leadphoto->meta_description

The 1953 East Coast Flood

On the night of Saturday 31st January 1953 the river walls of the Alde and Ore Estuary were br...


Visit Suffolk Coast Footer